Author Topic: SeaFlea Accessories / Moderization  (Read 85 times)

selkirk

• Regular Members
SeaFlea Accessories / Moderization
« on: July 21, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
I'm curious about the various features and/or gadgets, modern technology people have added to their SeaFleas.

The idea that prompted this post was to add a small bilge pump to the Hal Kelly Wetback I plan on building. On that point, how do you handle getting rid of spare H2O you take on. Part of boating for me is swimming, so I imagine I'll want to jump off my flea for a swim quite often. The obvious result, is a bit of water inside. It would be nice to have a simple solution for getting rid of it other than scooping.

Other things I've considered are running lights, adjustable kneeling pad/seat with detachable backrest for lazy cruising, hydraulic steering, gps. Obviously some of these things are ridiculous, but fun to think about. How much power could I get out of a solar powered electric motor? I bet Elon would have some fun with hydroplanes . .

What modern innovations have you added to your Flea, or thought about adding?
Registered Nerd

spring

Re: SeaFlea Accessories / Moderization
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
To remove water I use a big sponge like those for washing a car. Works great. I've never broken one.

A collapsible paddle is handy. Things like running lights are probably overkill.

Cheers!

selkirk

• Regular Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
A sponge is some great use of technology. Thank you!

Paddles are required for any boat IMO. You only have to be up a creek without one once to learn that lesson.

BTW Spring, I just bought the last copy on Amazon of Hal Kelly's book "Building your boat from plans and kits" :)
Registered Nerd

KitsuNoir

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
A Minimost-XL is my winter project, and I've considered accessories:

1) Running lights
2) Air horn
3) Electric start
4) Power trim
5) Aux plug for any temporary accessories

vwfreak5

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:08:17 AM »
Wilwood detachable steering hub.  I've put one on every hull I've built.

I'm a little over 6'3", so it makes getting in and out much easier.  ( $28.43 USD )

https://www.wilwood.com/hubs/hubprod?itemno=270-2017