Author Topic: MinimostXL build in progress  (Read 270 times)

Dch2007

• Regular Members
MinimostXL build in progress
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:05 AM »
Hello,  I have procrastinated a long time for building my first boat,   Recently came across a picture of the beautiful “Fritti V” and decided That’s the style I want.  (Originally wanted to do a pickle fork style).  I wanted to wait and buy the full size patterns but I have time to build now.   This week I have built the transom, and the main frame am now on to the two Mid deck supports. Just have a couple questions on them can’t seem to find the answers.  1) is the curve the same as the main frame?  2) How wide are they? And are they both the same? 3).  How far forward from the main frame, and how tall?   Any info is greatly appreciated,   My night are now full of reading through all the posts on the xl

58 Johnson

• Administrator
  • Now retired. Looking forward to next summer!
Re: MinimostXL build in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
Hello and welcome to the site!   It’s quiet time of year, well, for most of the site-goers who tend to be congregated in snow country, but you should stir up some interest shortly.  The XL is not my forte,  but there  is lots of experience out there!

Best of luck with the build, and be sure to post pictures as you go along.

Ross Jewiss, Huntsville, Ontario

rogerduncan100

• Seeking Retro and Speed
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:04:31 PM »
Have you read through William Jackson's instructions for building the original eight foot Minimost? They aren't of the greatest detail but maybe they'll help answer your questions.
Roger, aka rogerduncan100

Bobberoo51

• Regular Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
Double 0 7 - Bobberoo51 here. My post is over in General.  Not sure why I didn't post here.
Anyway, you'll see that I have taken the hull to rough completion and will wait for warmer weather before I start the long epoxy process.  So I am about to flip the boat over and start work on cockpit and the front deck support that you are inquiring about.  I am lucky to have a full size set of plans that I got from this site.  But having said that, this piece I think will be made to measure. It will depend on the height of the deck batten that attaches from the stem at the front to the centre frame (dash) at the rear.  And that curve of the batten depends on how high you fashioned the centre batten support.
Go to the Building the Boat section, and Part 2 of the Minimost XL build - Hull Completion. Pages 5 and pages 26-28 have great camera shots of this support. It has been fashioned in 2 pieces by the looks and is not a frame like the midship frame but just top deck supports. I'm going to cut out my pattern, glue to cardboard and then trim to fit my particular setup.  Placement, and I'm only guessing here, will be 3 foot 10 to 11 inches back from the stem tip so to achieve coverage from a 4 foot wide piece of plywood with a little overlap at front to be trimmed later. So don't measure from midframe, measure from stem tip. And I would say leave this step until you have the skeleton including deck batten completed. And lastly, I hope that the two pieces are mirror images of each other or I have built a cockeyed boat.  Another tip that I used for shaping the chines for good plywood fit when bending into place, was using a thin strip (1-1.5" wide) of 1/4" plywood which bends very nicely. Use this strip here as well. Fasten on one sheer clamp, bend over the deck batten and fasten to opposite sheer clamp.  Voila, a perfect look at the curve necessary for the deck support.  And I will double up on thickness to give lots of screwing support when fastening the abutting deck sheets.  Fingers crossed. 
Hope this helps.   Bobberoo51
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:18:07 PM by Bobberoo51 »