Author Topic: Jinx stem dimensions?  (Read 108 times)

Floris

• Regular Members
Jinx stem dimensions?
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been studying the plans for the 11' Jinx and I can't seem to understand how to shape the stem. Am I supposed to just use the natural curvature the keel makes when I bend it? I can see the overal length and the floor works as a datum when working in the boat while it is still on the cradle,but I feel like I'm missing something. It is very well possible I just read over the part explaining how to dimension the stem.

I did find the part which talks about shaping the keel with either steam or another method(the pages being in the wrong order on the plans notwithstanding). The description of the method that doesn't involve steam also has me scratching my head. The plans (on page 127) say the following;
"Saw down its [keel] side for about 3 ft. and with a generous coating of glue, slip a 1/8-in. x 2-in. piece of wood between the halves and bend assembly into shape."

If anyone can clarify the dimension and the shaping of the stem, it would help me a lot.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:18:37 AM by Floris »

rogerduncan100

• Seeking Retro and Speed
Re: Jinx stem dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:37:33 AM »
That looks like quite a project but you'll have a beautiful and solid boat.

The stem setup does look different than for most boats and I agree that it looks like it is bent upward so that you use the natural curvature the keel makes. Most stems are cut to shown dimensions, for example on the PM38 I built.

Go for it! You'll have lots more problems to solve once you start building and you'll never see them coming. Studying the plans is fun but you can't just do that to figure everything out.
Roger, aka rogerduncan100

Floris

• Regular Members
Re: Jinx stem dimensions?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks. I actually found a guy on youtube who's building one, seems like he just made a big print out of the plans and is replicating the curvature that way. I've first got a 20hp johnson to rebuild though so it might be a while before I get started on mine :-D