CND/US/INT Boating Regulations

As Fleafest grows we have more and more people coming in from different parts of the world.   Below is a short explanation of how our Canadian Boating Regulations apply to various participants.


“An American visiting Canadian waters in their own US registered or licensed vessel has 45 days continuous where they only need to meet the regulatory federal and their own state requirements. It is only after that 45 days continuous that they need to meet Canadian requirements and that includes the requirement for operator certification. American and International visitors need to contact their brokers to ensure they have insurance coverage for Central Ontario waters.”



Pleasure Craft Licence

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

  • are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
  • in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

Application Forms

Changes to the Pleasure Craft Licensing system:

Recent changes to the Small Vessel Regulations have changed the Pleasure Craft Licensing Process. Now:

  • Owners of licensed pleasure craft have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence, during which time you may continue to operate your pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board.
  • Pleasure craft licences are valid for 10 years. If you change your name, address, or particulars of your pleasure craft during that period, you must update your licence by applying to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.